- The website copy contains spelling and/or grammar mistakes
- The green lock is missing in the address bar of the browser
- The website name and the website address do not correspond
- The website lacks reviews or shows poor reviews in Google
- The webshop does not show any contact details and it is not clear who the owner is
- The webshop is mentioned on the list of the police that includes reported bogus ecommerce sites (https://www.politie.nl/aangifte-of-melding-doen/controleer-handelspartij.html)
- It just does not feel right. Because the price is just to be good to be true, for example.
According to Sanne, the same tips apply to International webshops. After all, the criminals behind the bogus Dutch webshops are not necessarily Dutch.
Sanne’s advice for people who have been swindled: notify the police immediately and – if necessary – inform your bank or credit card provider to minimise the potential financial damage.